[ISN] Local police falling behind on cybercrime, former chief says

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:47:20 -0600 (CST)
http://fcw.com/articles/2010/03/23/web-fose-bratton-lapd-cyber.aspx

By Ben Bain
FCW.com
March 23, 2010

Local police departments have the knowledge but lack the resources for
cybersecurity-related police efforts, according to former Los Angeles
Police Department Chief Bill Bratton.

Speaking today after his keynote address at the FOSE 2010 trade show in
Washington, Bratton said local police departments have been behind the
curve for most of their history in tackling computer-related crime and
cybersecurity.

Bratton, who also served as commissioner of the New York City Police
Department, also said that computer security is an unmet challenge for
police departments that is unlikely to be addressed in significant way
because of funding, prioritization, resources and access to systems.

He added that the situation is frustrating for police chiefs. .We know
how to do it; we know how to coordinate it," he said. "It.s a resource
issue."

Bratton is now chairman of Altegrity Risk International. He also
previously served as chief of the New York City Transit Police and as
Boston Police Department commissioner.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/