[ISN] U.S. Faces Cyber Security Gap Without Training, Education

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:04:05 -0600 (CST)
http://www.esecurityplanet.com/features/article.php/3872626/US-Faces-Cyber-Security-Gap-Without-Training-Education.htm

By Kenneth Corbin
eSecurity Planet
March 24, 2010

WASHINGTON -- As discussions about the federal approach to cyber
security continue to percolate across the highest levels of government,
one of the most important steps policymakers can take is to nourish the
education and training of a new crop of security experts, a senior
administration official said here at the FOSE government IT show.

Working in concert with the government, the private sector has made
significant strides in improving software security and ferreting out
vulnerabilities in the supply chain, but the flow of cyber security
experts graduating from the nation's universities with advanced degrees
remains anemic, according to Richard Marshall, the director of global
cyber security management at the Department of Homeland Security.

"No matter how successful we are in those two elements, we are going to
fail if we don't invest more money, time, attention and rewards to
educate the workforce," Marshall said. "That's our legacy-to-be."

DHS and the National Security Agency (NSA) jointly sponsor the Centers
for Academic Excellence, a consortium of universities that focus on
advanced information security education. While participation in the
program has snowballed, federal funding for scholarships has not kept
pace.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/