[ISN] TJX Hacker Gets 20 Years in Prison

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:04:51 -0600 (CST)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/03/tjx-sentencing/

By Kim Zetter
Threat Level
Wired.com
March 25, 2010

BOSTON -- Convicted TJX hacker Albert Gonzalez was sentenced to 20 years
in prison on Thursday for leading a gang of cyberthieves who stole more
than 90 million credit and debit card numbers from TJX and other
retailers.

The sentence for the largest computer-crime case ever prosecuted is the
lengthiest ever imposed in the United States for hacking or
identity-theft. Gonzalez was also fined $25,000. Restitution, which will
likely be in the tens of millions, was not decided Thursday.

Clean-cut, wearing a beige jail uniform and wireframe glasses, the
28-year-old Gonzalez sat motionless at his chair during Thursday's
proceedings, his hands folded in front of him.

Before the sentence was pronounced, Gonzalez told the court he deeply
regrets his crimes, and is remorseful for having taken advantage of the
personal relationships he'd forged. "Particularly one I had with a
certain government agency - that gave me a second chance in life," said
the hacker, who had worked as a paid informant for the Secret Service.
"I blame nobody but myself."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/