[ISN] GCHQ: Spooks in socks and sandals

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 00:08:57 -0600 (CST)
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article7078644.ece

By Gordon Carrera
The Sunday Times
March 28, 2010

Tucked away on the outskirts of Cheltenham is a vast circular structure
wrapped in razor wire. Getting inside requires passing through layer
after layer of ever-tightening security. Everyone in the town knows what
it is - Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) - but few secrets
of its work emerge.

With about 5,500 employees, GCHQ is Britain's largest but least
well-known intelligence agency. Its mission is to eavesdrop on global
communications, hunting for the terrorist phone call, Taliban radio
traffic or a telling email from a foreign government.

GCHQ operates in a hermetically sealed bubble of security. But the
building - known as the doughnut because it is round with a hole in the
middle - is open and airy. Casually dressed people stroll down the main
thoroughfare, "the street", chat in coffee bars or work in open-plan
offices. Signs for "serious crime" and "Asia-Pacific team" hint at the
breadth of their work.

Intruders are unusual in this closed world. As I am escorted around, a
voice comes across the PA system: "Blinds facing 'the street' in blocks
A and B should be closed immediately." A glance through a window might
reveal something secret.

GCHQ's director, Iain Lobban, is keen to show that it is accountable to
the public but warns: "I don't want to tell you precisely what I can and
can.t do in terms of exploiting communications because I would see my
adversaries ... move to different communications behaviour."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/