[ISN] Cyberwar Rhetoric Is Scarier Than Threat of Foreign Attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:34:57 -0600 (CST)
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/03/29/cyberwar-rhetoric-is-scarier-than-threat-of-foreign-attack.html

By  Marcus Ranum
Opinion
USNews.com March 29, 2010

Marcus Ranum is an expert on security system design and chief security
officer for Tenable Network Security.

I've worked on information security for more than 20 years, and during
that time, there hasn't been a year that has gone by without news like
"hacker breaks into Department of Defense computer networks" or
"industrial spies access high-tech plans." Suddenly, the steady drumbeat
of computer/network security has been pushed to center stage, and now
our government is talking about "cyberwar" and pointing a finger at
China. Unless you've been asleep for a decade, you ought to be worried
when our government starts using the rhetoric of warfare— especially
vocabulary like "pre-emptive" and "deterrence." Why the sudden change?

Anyone involved in sales knows the "FUD sell"—based on fear,
uncertainty, and doubt. Some of the talking heads who are declaring us
to be in danger want to sell billions of dollars of solutions to the
problem. They are often the same people who had "ownership" of the
problem before they stepped through the revolving door into private-
sector executive positions. Now they'll get it right? I'm skeptical.

Let's consider what they're saying. The notion of cyber war is that it
would serve as a "force multiplier" for conventional operations.
Preparatory to attacking a target, communications networks and command/
control systems would be disrupted, power systems might be temporarily
crashed, navigation systems confused, etc. Proponents of cyberwar claim
that it might save lives; I've even heard them claim it's more effective
to recoverably crash a nation's power grid than to bomb it with
precision airstrikes. The misdirection works, however. We're now down
into the technical weeds and lose track of the main question: "What
war?"

When some pundit says that we're losing a cyberwar to China, is he
saying that China is preparing to crash our electronic infrastructure so
that it can invade? The mind boggles. The last time I asked a cyberwar
proponent that question, he quickly explained that, no, we were talking
about potential economic warfare. But isn't there already an ongoing
economic war we call "the global economy"? Assuming China would try to
deliberately crash our economy presupposes that the Chinese are so
stupid that they'd want to devalue the huge chunk of the U.S. economy
that they already own, and crater their own economy while they were at
it. I keep waiting for a spokesperson of the Chinese government to
officially say, "Please stop assuming we're idiots." If China wanted to
drop the hammer, it would start trading in euros instead of dollars. But
who has the time and energy to invade, disrupt, or destroy? We're
business partners, we're competitors, and there's money to be made!

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/