[ISN] Stolen computer detected by nonprofit's wireless network

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 00:23:19 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.islandpacket.com/2010/04/14/1207383/stolen-computer-detected-by-nonprofits.html

By Patrick Donohue
beaufortgazette.com
April 14, 2010

Cindi Riley couldn't believe her eyes as she monitored activity on the
Literacy Volunteers of the Lowcountry's wireless computer network last
month.

Connected to the unsecured network was one of the nonprofit's old
computers, a computer among seven stolen during a late-January burglary
at the group's Beaufort office.

"I was so mad," said Riley, the charity's assistant executive director.
"Someone was using one of our stolen computers within range of our
network."

Riley forwarded her findings to the Beaufort Police Department and
Investigator George Erdell, who had been assigned the case.

Investigators traced the computer to a home two doors down from the
Prince Street office and recovered one of the stolen computers Friday,
said Beaufort Police Chief Matt Clancy.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2010 - Dubai, the premier
deep-knowledge network security event in the GCC,
featuring keynote speakers John Viega and Matt Watchinski!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2010dxb/