[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch: April 16th, 2010

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:48:55 -0500 (CDT)
| LinuxSecurity.com                               Linux Advisory Watch |
| April 16th, 2010                                Volume 11, Number 16 |
| Editorial Team:              Dave Wreski <dwreski_at_private> |
|                       Benjamin D. Thomas <bthomas_at_private> |

Thank you for reading the Linux Advisory Watch Security Newsletter. The
purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick summary of
each week's vendor security bulletins and pointers on methods to improve
the security posture of your open source system.

Vulnerabilities affect nearly every vendor virtually every week, so be
sure to read through to find the updates your distributor have made
available.

SSH: Best Practices
-------------------
If you're reading LinuxSecurity.com then it's a safe bet that you are
already using SSH, but are you using it in the best way possible?  Have
you configured it to be as limited and secure as possible?<BR/>Read on
for my best practices for using Secure Shell.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/133312

Review: Linux Firewalls
-----------------------
Security is at the forefront of everyone's mind and a firewall can be an
integral part of your Linux defense. But is Michael's Rash's "Linux
Firewalls," the newest release from NoStarchPress, up for the challenge?
Eckie S. here at Linuxsecurity.com gives you the low-down on this newest
addition to the Linux security resource library and how it's one of the
best ways to crack down on attacks to your Linux network.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/130392

-->  Take advantage of the LinuxSecurity.com Quick Reference Card!  <--
-->  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/QuickRefCard.pdf             <--

* EnGarde Secure Community 3.0.22 Now Available!
  Guardian Digital is happy to announce the release of EnGarde Secure
  Community 3.0.22 (Version 3.0, Release 22).  This release includes
  many updated packages and bug fixes and some feature enhancements to
  the EnGarde Secure Linux Installer and the SELinux policy.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/145668

* Debian: 2033-1: ejabberd: heap overflow (Apr 15)
  It was discovered that in ejabberd, a distributed XMPP/Jabber server
  written in Erlang, a problem in ejabberd_c2s.erl allows remote
  authenticated users to cause a denial of service by sending a large
  number of c2s (client2server) messages; that triggers an overload of
  the [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152149

* Debian: 2032-1: libpng: Multiple vulnerabilities (Apr 11)
  Several vulnerabilities have been discovered in libpng, a library for
  reading and writing PNG files. The Common Vulnerabilities and
  Exposures project identifies the following problems: [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152113

* Debian: 2031-1: krb5: use-after-free (Apr 11)
  Sol Jerome discovered that kadmind service in krb5, a system for
  authenticating users and services on a network, allows remote
  authenticated users to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via a
  request from a kadmin client that sends [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152112

* Mandriva: 2010:075: openoffice.org (Apr 15)
  This updates provides a security update to the OpenOffice.org
  described as follow: OpenOffice's xmlsec uses a bundled Libtool which
  might load .la file in the current working directory allowing local
  users to gain [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152152

* Mandriva: 2010:074: kdebase (Apr 15)
  ------------------------------------
  A vulnerability has been found and corrected in kdm
  (kdebase/kdebase4-workspace): KDM contains a race condition that
  allows local attackers to make arbitrary files on the system
  world-writeable. This can happen [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152150

* Mandriva: 2010:073-1: cups (Apr 14)
  -----------------------------------
  Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in cups: CUPS
  in does not properly handle (1) HTTP headers and (2) HTML templates,
  which allows remote attackers to conduct cross-site scripting (XSS)
  attacks and HTTP response splitting attacks via vectors [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152140

* Mandriva: 2010:073: cups (Apr 14)
  ---------------------------------
  Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in cups: CUPS
  in does not properly handle (1) HTTP headers and (2) HTML templates,
  which allows remote attackers to conduct cross-site scripting (XSS)
  attacks and HTTP response splitting attacks via vectors [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152139

* Mandriva: 2010:072: cups (Apr 14)
  ---------------------------------
  Multiple vulnerabilities has been found and corrected in cups: CUPS
  in does not properly handle (1) HTTP headers and (2) HTML templates,
  which allows remote attackers to conduct cross-site scripting (XSS)
  attacks and HTTP response splitting attacks via vectors [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152138

* Mandriva: 2010:071: krb5 (Apr 13)
  ---------------------------------
  A vulnerability has been found and corrected in krb5: Use-after-free
  vulnerability in kadmin/server/server_stubs.c in kadmind in MIT
  Kerberos 5 (aka krb5) 1.5 through 1.6.3 allows remote authenticated
  users to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via a [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152132

* Mandriva: 2010:070: firefox (Apr 13)
  ------------------------------------
  Security issues were identified and fixed in firefox: Security
  researcher regenrecht reported (via TippingPoint's Zero Day
  Initiative) a potential reuse of a deleted image frame in Firefox
  3.6's handling of multipart/x-mixed-replace images. Although no
  exploit was [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152123

* Red Hat: 2010:0348-01: kdebase: Important Advisory (Apr 14)
  Updated kdebase packages that fix one security issue are now
  available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5. The Red Hat Security
  Response Team has rated this update as having [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152135

* Red Hat: 2010:0349-01: acroread: Critical Advisory (Apr 14)
  Updated acroread packages that fix several security issues are now
  available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Extras and Red Hat
  Enterprise Linux 5 Supplementary. [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152136

* Red Hat: 2010:0347-01: nss_db: Moderate Advisory (Apr 13)
  Updated nss_db packages that fix one security issue are now available
  for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. The Red Hat Security Response Team
  has rated this update as having moderate [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152133

  minor issues, SUSE Security releases weekly summary reports for the
  low profile vulnerability fixes. The SUSE Security Summary Reports do
  not list or download URLs like the SUSE Security Announcements that
  are released for more severe vulnerabilities.  List of
  vulnerabilities in this summary include: viewvc, krb5, pango, gimp,
  kdebase3, kde4-kdm.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152137

* Ubuntu: 929-1: irssi vulnerabilities (Apr 15)
  It was discovered that irssi did not perform certificate host
  validationwhen using SSL connections. An attacker could exploit this
  to perform a manin the middle attack to view sensitive information or
  alter encryptedcommunications. (CVE-2010-1155) [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152153

* Ubuntu: 890-6: CMake vulnerabilities (Apr 15)
  USN-890-1 fixed vulnerabilities in Expat. This update provides
  thecorresponding updates for CMake. [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152151

* Ubuntu: 928-1: Sudo vulnerability (Apr 15)
  Valerio Costamagna discovered that sudo did not properly validate the
  pathfor the 'sudoedit' pseudo-command when the PATH contained only a
  dot ('.').If secure_path and ignore_dot were disabled, a local
  attacker could exploitthis to execute arbitrary code as root if sudo
  was configured to allow theattacker to use sudoedit. By default,
  secure_path is used and the sudoedit [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152148

* Ubuntu: 927-3: Thunderbird regression (Apr 11)
  USN-927-1 fixed vulnerabilities in NSS. Due to upstream changes in
  NSS3.12.6, Thunderbird would be unable to initialize the security
  componentand connect with SSL/TLS if the old libnss3-0d transition
  package wasinstalled. This update fixes the problem. [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152114

* Ubuntu: 920-1: Firefox 3.0 and Xulrunner vulnerabilities (Apr 9)
  Martijn Wargers, Josh Soref, Jesse Ruderman, and Ehsan Akhgari
  discoveredflaws in the browser engine of Firefox. If a user were
  tricked into viewinga malicious website, a remote attacker could
  cause a denial of service orpossibly execute arbitrary code with the
  privileges of the user invokingthe program. (CVE-2010-0174) [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152110

* Ubuntu: 927-1: NSS vulnerability (Apr 9)
  Marsh Ray and Steve Dispensa discovered a flaw in the TLS and
  SSLv3protocols. If an attacker could perform a man in the middle
  attack at thestart of a TLS connection, the attacker could inject
  arbitrary content atthe beginning of the user's session. This update
  adds support for the newnew renegotiation extension and will use it
  when the server supports it. [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152109

* Ubuntu: 926-1: ClamAV vulnerabilities (Apr 8)
  It was discovered that ClamAV did not properly verify its input
  whenprocessing CAB files. A remote attacker could send a specially
  craftedCAB file to evade malware detection. (CVE-2010-0098) [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152105

* Ubuntu: 925-1: MoinMoin vulnerabilities (Apr 8)
  It was discovered that MoinMoin did not properly sanitize its input
  whenprocessing Despam actions, resulting in cross-site scripting
  (XSS)vulnerabilities. If a privileged wiki user were tricked into
  performingthe Despam action on a page with a crafted title, a remote
  attacker couldexploit this to execute JavaScript code.
  (CVE-2010-0828) [More...]

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152104

* Pardus: 2010-46: [UPDATE] OpenSSL: Denial of Service (Apr 9)
  A vulnerability has been fixed in OpenSSL, which can be exploited by
  malicious people to manipulate certain data and cause a DoS (Denial
  of Service) UPDATE: The same problem has been addressed in Pardus
  2008

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152106

* Pardus: 2010-48: Kernel: Denial of Service (Apr 9)
  A vulnerability and a security issue have been fixed, which can be
  exploited by malicious, local users to bypass certain security
  restrictions, cause a DoS (Denial of Service), and potentially gain
  escalated privileges.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152107

* Pardus: 2010-49: Cups: Privilege Escalation (Apr 9)
  A vulnerability has been fixed in Cups, which can be exploited by
  malicious people to gain certain privileges.

  http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/152108