[ISN] Cybersecurity Bill Would Give Coordinator Budget Authority

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 00:23:26 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=224701133

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
May 7, 2010

One of the common criticisms of the creation of a national cybersecurity
coordinator position within the White House has been that the position
lacks real teeth.

Two Congressmen Thursday introduced bipartisan legislation in the House
of Representatives that would give the position budget authority and
more.

The Executive Cyberspace Authorities Act of 2010, introduced by Reps.
Jim Langevin, (D-R.I.) and Michael McCaul, (R-Texas), and co-sponsored
by five others, would make the cybersecurity coordinator a permanent,
Presidentially appointed, Senate-confirmed position under the title of
the director of the National Cyberspace Office.

The National Cyberspace Office, in turn, would be a new entity tasked
with "coordinating issues relating to achieving an assured, reliable,
and survivable" IT infrastructure in government and beyond.

"This legislation will help fill a critical void in our cybersecurity
infrastructure," Langevin, who is also co-chair of the House
Cybersecurity Caucus, said in a statement. "While the President's
establishment of a Cybersecurity Coordinator was an encouraging step,
the position was not given the proper authorities to adequately secure
our networks and coordinate IT policy across government."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
Shop InfoSec News
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/