[ISN] DOD struggles to define cyber war

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 00:15:48 -0500 (CDT)
http://gcn.com/articles/2010/05/12/miller-on-cyberwar-051210.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
May 12, 2010

As the Defense Department puts its new Cyber Command in place to defend
the military information infrastructure, it also is wrestling with the
nontechnical issues of defining cyber war and establishing a doctrine
for cyber warfare, a top Pentagon cyber policy adviser said Wednesday.

James Miller, DOD principal deputy undersecretary for policy, pondered
how the law of armed conflict applies to cyber war.

"It's clear that it does," he said, speaking in an Ogilvy Exchange
national security lecture in Washington, But the military still has to
establish what an act of aggression or an act of war looks like in
cyberspace and decide on the rules for responding -- both digitally and
physically -- when the line between hacking and warfare is crossed, he
said.

"We have a lot of efforts underway," Miller said. "We are trying to
bring all of this together into a coherent strategy" that will begin
coming out in the next few months. He said there will not be a simple
one-sentence definition of what constitutes cyberwar, but that it will
be an evolving concept based on history and on likely scenarios.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
Shop InfoSec News
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/