[ISN] US hypocrisy in China cyberwar says expert

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 00:02:38 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/us-hypocrisy-in-china-cyberwar-says-expert/story-e6frgakx-1225868338373

By Karen Dearne
Australian IT
May 18, 2010

THE recent China-US "cyberwar" exposed American hypocrisy on the issues
of government surveillance and censorship, according to a US-based
expert on security system design.

"Why is the country with the best technology for online surveillance of
its citizens' communications taking other nations to task over
censorship and free speech?" Mr Ranum, chief security officer of Tenable
Network Security, challenged a packed forum at AusCERT 2010.

"For years, the US has embraced portions of the hacker community into
our labs to build cyber-weapons, and there's government funding
connections between our offensive weapons writers and our defensive
weapons writers.

"We own the search engines everybody uses, and the incredibly valuable
data they produce.

"So it's bizarre that in the recent exchange of accusations over China
targeting dissident supporters of the Dalai Lama, no country asked the
US to rein in its own cyber-hackers."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
Shop InfoSec News