[ISN] Google ditches Windows on security concerns

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 01:41:52 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html

By David Gelles and Richard Waters in San Francisco
FT.com
May 31 2010

Google is phasing out the internal use of Microsoft’s ubiquitous Windows
operating system because of security concerns, according to several
Google employees.

The directive to move to other operating systems began in earnest in
January, after Google's Chinese operations were hacked, and could
effectively end the use of Windows at Google, which employs more than
10,000 workers internationally.

"We're not doing any more Windows. It is a security effort," said one
Google employee.

"Many people have been moved away from [Windows] PCs, mostly towards Mac
OS, following the China hacking attacks," said another.

New hires are now given the option of using Apple's Mac computers or PCs
running the Linux operating system. "Linux is open source and we feel
good about it," said one employee. "Microsoft we don’t feel so good
about."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
Shop InfoSec News