[ISN] Some IT security experts are hackers, shocka

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 00:09:54 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.thinq.co.uk/2010/6/2/some-it-security-experts-are-hackers-shocka/

By Stewart Meagher
Thinq.co.uk
June 2, 2010

Yet another survey of IT security professionals has discovered that half
of them aren't adverse to a bit of hacking.

Of those who admitted hacking, 73 per cent said they were doing so to
test the strength of their own network's defences, 13 per cent were
doing it for giggles and three per cent were having a pop at the
competition.

Compiled at this year.s Infosecurity Europe 2010, the survey also found
that 31 per cent admitted to being victims of hacking while a shocking
29 per cent said they didn't know if they had ever been hacked.

Barmak Meftah, Chief Products Officer at Fortify Software said, "It
would appear organisations are frustrated with insecure off-the-shelf
solutions, with many obviously feeling there are few alternatives, as
they still purchase them."

He adds: "On the subject of whether hackers can ever be described as
having "good" intentions, I'd rather be on the side of a hacker working
to bring security vulnerabilities to my attention so that I can fix them
before deploying an application that exposes my business to risk."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
Shop InfoSec News
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/