[ISN] US cyber-combat Top Gun training details emerge

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:32:04 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/23/us_cyberwar_training/

By Lewis Page
The Register
23rd June 2010

Details are emerging of the training programme that will produce the US
military's new elite corps of cyberwarfare operatives.

According to a Department of Defense statement, the undergraduate cyber
training course for career field 17DX "cyber operations officers" in the
US Air Force was launched last week at Keesler airforce base in
Mississippi. The course lasts six months.

"We didn't have the pipeline in place to train the new skills needed to
operate in the cyberspace domain," says Lieutenant Colonel Scott Solomon
of the 333rd Training Squadron. "It's the one domain for which we didn't
have an initial skills course.

"For years, we've done fundamental training in telecommunications,
radar, radio, long-haul infrastructure, microwave and air traffic
control systems, but now most of these things are connected at the
Internet protocol level via the Internet," he added. "Our new cyberspace
operators are going to be trained to operate looking through the lens at
that IP level."

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com