[ISN] Best defense against hackers: Know your enemy

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 00:42:05 -0500 (CDT)
http://gcn.com/articles/2010/06/28/cybereye-know-your-enemy.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
June 28, 2010

With networks under seemingly constant attack by increasingly
sophisticated hackers who worm their way through the tiniest cracks in
our defenses, it's easy to fall into the habit of thinking about them as
super villains capable of anything.

That is a mistake, says National Security Agency analyst Tony Sager.
Although we should not underestimate our enemies, we should not
overestimate them either.

"If you treat the bad guy as a wizard, you will never be able to counter
his magic," Sager said. "You need to understand his tradecraft to defend
against him."

Sager, who heads the Vulnerability Analysis and Operations Group in
NSA's Information Assurance Directorate, has spent more than 30 years
studying the bad guys and their techniques. He knows what their
capabilities are and what the capabilities are for countering them.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com