[ISN] UM Counseling Center servers hacked

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:24:53 -0500 (CDT)
http://mainecampus.com/2010/06/29/um-counseling-center-servers-hacked/

By Michael Shepherd
The Maine Campus
June 29th, 2010

University of Maine police are investigating the breach of two UMaine
computer servers holding the names, social security numbers, and
clinical information of students who attended the university's
Counseling Center from Aug. 8, 2002 to June 21 of this year.

According to a university press release, data linked to approximately
4,585 students, four to five percent of UMaine students over that time
period, was exposed.

Dean of Students Robert Dana said at a Tuesday news conference there was
"no indication" that data was viewed or downloaded from the servers, but
officials are preparing for a worst-case scenario.

"This is an insidious affront to the rightful privacy expectations of
our students," Dana said. "The criminals who make it their business to
exploit our society's need and ability to store information are beneath
contempt. Because of this, we are engaging all possible resources to
find the source of these attacks."

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com