[ISN] FBI Raids 'Electronik Tribulation Army' Over Witness Intimidation

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 03:05:26 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/eta/

By Kevin Poulsen
Threat Level
Wired.com
July 8, 2010

FBI agents have raided the homes of three alleged members of a hacker
gang that harassed a security expert who helped put the group's leader
in jail, according to a recently unsealed search warrant affidavit.

Jesse William McGraw, aka "GhostExodus," pleaded guilty in May to
computer-tampering charges for putting malware on a dozen machines at
the Texas hospital where he worked as a security guard. He also
installed the remote-access program LogMeIn on the hospital's
Windows-controlled HVAC system.

Last month's raids were prompted by the aftermath of McGraw's arrest.
McGraw was the leader of an anarchistic hacking group called the
Electronik Tribulation Army, and his bust led to a flood of harassment
against the Mississippi computer-security researcher who discovered
screenshots of the HVAC access online and informed the FBI.

"They set up website in my name to pose as me, and put up embarrassing
content or things they thought would embarrass me, including a
call-to-action to buy sex toys, and fake pornographic images," says R.
Wesley McGrew, 30, of McGrew Security. "They harvested e-mail addresses
from the university I work at and e-mailed it out to those."

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com