[ISN] Profiling and categorizing cybercriminals

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 01:41:49 -0500 (CDT)
Forwarded from: Simon Taplin <simon.taplin (at) gmail.com>

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4069

By Deb Shinder
IT Security
July 19th, 2010

INTRO: This is the first of what I hope will be many monthly columns on
the subject of cybercrime. As a former police officer and criminal
justice instructor and a current IT professional, I love writing about
this subject because it allows me to combine the knowledge from both
fields and attempt to help law enforcement officers and IT pros work
together to curb this growing problem. This column is aimed primarily at
the IT side, and so I'll be focusing less on technical issues that you
already know about and more on law enforcement procedures and how the
justice system works (and sometimes doesn't) when it comes to this
particular type of crime, as well as what you can do to help.

Those "in the know" in law enforcement will tell you that criminal
profiling is both an art and a science. It's all about generalizations,
but knowing what types of people generally commit specific types of
criminal offenses can be very helpful in catching and prosecuting the
perpetrator of a specific crime. That information can also be useful in
protecting your digital assets from cybercriminals.

As I noted in my book, Scene of the Cybercrime [1], a criminal profile
is a psychological assessment made without knowing the identity of the
criminal. It includes personality characteristics and can even include
physical characteristics. "Fitting the profile" doesn't mean a person
committed the crime, but profiling helps narrow the field of suspects
and may help exclude some persons from suspicion. Profilers use both
statistical data (inductive profiling) and "common sense" testing of
hypotheses (deductive profiling) to formulate profiles. Profiling is
only one of many tools that can be used in an investigation.

[1] http://astore.amazon.com/infosecnews-20/detail/1597492760

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2010, hosted at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada
July 24-29th, offering over 60 training sessions and 11 tracks of Briefings
from security industry elite. To sign up visit http://www.blackhat.com