[ISN] The hackers life -- my weekend at Defcon

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 00:30:16 -0500 (CDT)
http://nationalgeographicassignmentblog.com/2010/08/06/the-hackers-life-my-weekend-at-defcon/

By Lou Lesko
National Geographic Assignment Blog
August 6, 2010

I’m walking with Nico through the hallways of the convention area of the
Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas. There is a distinct old school feeling at
the Riviera that reminds one of the days when Las Vegas was run by the
family. Walking swiftly Nico tells me that we might see security expert
Chris Paget get arrested during his presentation.

“Arrested?”

As we get closer to the hall where Paget is presenting, I can hear
someone yelling, “if you have a GSM cell phone, your call may be
intercepted. If you do not want this to happen, then turn off your cell
phone.” The vociferous warning is supported by the flyers I see
haphazardly taped to the walls.

Using a laptop, a transmitter broadcasting over a ham-radio frequency
and two antennas, Paget has created a GSM base station which all the
mobile phones in the near vicinity have been duped into thinking is a
legitimate AT&T cell tower. “When the phone is looking for a signal, it
looks for the strongest tower. This [his setup] offers the best signal,”
he explains. On the laptop screen he shows a list of phones, mine
included, that are connected to his fake network. The threat of arrest
comes from the FCC. Should Paget intercept a voice or data transmission
from one of the phones connected to his $1500 dollars worth of equipment
and open-source software, he will be in violation of the law. I honestly
can’t decide if I want to see that happen or not. The sensationalistic
side of me would love to see the drama, but the rational side of me is
taken with Paget’s enthusiasm and blazing intelligence. More
importantly, he has revealed an inherent security weakness with 2G
technology. A weakness that can be fixed by moving mobile networks to 3G
or encrypting 2G connections.

This is an example of what happens every year at the DefCon hacker
conference in Las Vegas. Passionate hackers present their knowledge and
capabilities, often times skirting the very fringes of legality.
However, if you think that this is a convention for geek criminals, then
you’ve been watching too much NBC.

[...]

--
Visit InfoSec News!