[ISN] Gov 2.0 Summit: NSA Chief Outlines Cybersecurity Plans

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 01:10:12 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/leadership/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227300374

By Elizabeth Montalbano
InformationWeek
September 8, 2010

Addressing challenges to the federal government's cybersecurity efforts,
the head of the National Security Agency (NSA) said that teamwork,
global leadership, and a respect for citizens' privacy are necessary to
secure U.S. critical infrastructure against cyber attacks.

There are 250,000 probes trying to find their way into Department of
Defense (DoD) networks every hour, and cyber attacks on federal agencies
have increased 150% since 2008, Gen. Keith Alexander, NSA director and
commander of the U.S. Cyber Command, said Tuesday at the Gov 2.0 Summit
at the Grand Hyatt in Washington, produced by O'Reilly Media and UBM
TechWeb.

The federal government has the potential to drastically reduce and
prevent these attacks, but not unless the various agencies charged with
cybersecurity tasks work together both at home and on a global scale.

"The United States has been a world leader in the development of
technology and the growth of the internet," Alexander said. "We made the
internet, it seems to me that we ought to be the folks to be the first
to go out there and secure it. Given the intellectual capital required
to do that, it stands to reason that if we pool our resources we can
effectively safeguard all our nation's equities in cyberspace."

[...]