[ISN] Information about MV Sun Sea migrants stolen from Tamil group's office

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 00:40:30 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/information-about-mv-sun-sea-migrants-stolen-from-tamil-groups-office/article1704561/

By Kelly Grant
Globe and Mail
Sept 12, 2010

Canada's most prominent Tamil organization is concerned about the safety
of some families in Sri Lanka after sensitive information about their
boat migrant relatives was stolen from the group's Toronto office.

A computer containing the names, birth certificates and contact
information of "hundreds" of the 492 Tamils who arrived in British
Columbia aboard the MV Sun Sea in August was stolen during a break-in at
the headquarters of the Canadian Tamil Congress.

"Our immediate concern is about the families back home in Sri Lanka,"
said David Poopalapillai, national spokesman for the CTC. "We are quite
worried."

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada has placed a publication ban
on the names of the migrants, in part to protect their Sri Lankan
relatives from reprisal. But the CTC has most of their names on file
because the non-profit organization has been trying to connect the
ship’s passengers with family back home.

[...]