[ISN] Google Confirms That It Fired Engineer For Breaking Internal Privacy Policies

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 01:25:56 -0500 (CDT)
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/14/google-engineer-spying-fired/

By Jason Kincaid
TechCrunch
September 14, 2010

Earlier today Gawker published an alarming report detailing the exploits
of a former Google engineer who allegedly used his internal clearances
to access private Gmail and GTalk accounts so that he could spy on and
harass people, including four minors. The article repeatedly points out
how much sensitive data the public has entrusted Google with, and
highlights that the company’s internal security policies may not be
enough to maintain that security should a trusted employee go rogue.
Google has just responded to the article with this statement, and it
doesn’t deny anything Gawker reported:

    "We dismissed David Barksdale for breaking Google’s strict internal
    privacy policies. We carefully control the number of employees who
    have access to our systems, and we regularly upgrade our security
    controls - for example, we are significantly increasing the amount
    of time we spend auditing our logs to ensure those controls are
    effective. That said, a limited number of people will always need to
    access these systems if we are to operate them properly - which is
    why we take any breach so seriously."

    Bill Coughran, Senior Vice President, Engineering, Google

While the Gawker article correctly said that Barksdale had been fired
for this reason, Google had not previously confirmed it and Barksdale
had refused to comment on why he had been dismissed.

[...]