[ISN] Lock Picking Popularity Growing

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:07:48 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.darkreading.com/blog/archives/2010/09/lock_picking_po.html

By John Sawyer
Evil Bytes
Dark Reading
Sep 24, 2010

As security professionals, it is easy to get focused only on the
technical side of security and forget about the importance of physical
security.

The beauty of security and hacking, however, is that the thinking that
goes into circumventing security controls on a computer system can be
abstracted and applied to other areas like physical security--bypassing
electronic access controls, circumventing physical security systems, and
picking locks.

One of the always-popular areas during DEF CON is the lock picking
village where attendees can try their hand at picking locks of all
types. From padlocks to deadbolts, the lock picking village is a
playground for those new to the practice, hobbyists, and those who treat
it as a sport to see who can pick a series of locks the fastest.

I've not spent much time in the lock picking village in the past, but
every year I have friends come back with new sets of lock picks,
practice locks, and a passion for "hacking" locks. There has been an
entire community that has sprung up from lock picking into what is
called "locksport," and this year has seen a couple of new projects to
help bring lock picking to the mainstream.

The first was the release of "Practical Lock Picking: A Physical
Penetration Tester's Training Guide" by Deviant Ollam. This is a
fantastic book that I highly recommend if you have any interest in
physical security. It's a great reference and guide book for getting
started with lock picking, learning how locks work, and really motivates
you to want to get your hands dirty trying out the techniques covered in
the book.

[...]