[ISN] Government Ready For Cybersecurity Deadline, Officials Say

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:18:36 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=227900157

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
October 18, 2010

When the federal government flips the switch to replace the government's
arduous paper-based cybersecurity compliance process with a web-based
one next month, agencies will be ready for the move, federal officials
said Friday, despite a survey released this month that showed misgivings
about readiness as recently as late July.

The new compliance tool, CyberScope, is scheduled to go live on November
15, and agencies are expected thereafter to answer compliance-related
questions about their cybersecurity postures online, rather than through
massive once-a-year paper reports that, as White House officials have
admitted, gather dust on shelves.

"The reporting should be a byproduct of our security posture, not the
end," federal CIO Vivek Kundra said. "The intent with CyberScope was
first and foremost to make sure we're not just collecting information
for information's sake, but we're acting to improve our security
posture."

CyberScope represents a major shift in the way federal agencies report
their compliance with the Federal Information Security Management Act,
the law governing government cybersecurity. The goal, officials have
repeatedly said since announcing the tool late last year, is to place an
emphasis on operational security as opposed to meaningless, once-a-year
compliance reporting.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/