[ISN] Who's Inside the New U.S. Cyber Command?

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 01:20:50 -0600 (CST)
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-work/tech-careers/whos-inside-the-new-us-cyber-command

By David Kushner
IEEE Spectrum
November 08, 2010

Last Wednesday, the Department of Defense finally announced that the
"U.S. Cyber Command has achieved full operational capability."  The
Cyber Command will be "responsible for directing activities to operate
and defend DoD networks," the release stated.

While we've heard a lot about the threat of cyber warfare, and the need
for greater security, we haven't heard much about the people on the
front line.  Who are the cyberwarriors, and what will they do?  I had an
early glimpse into this world when I visited the provisional Cyber
Command at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, Louisiana.

One morning, I drove in with three cyberwarriors to accompany them on
the job.   Just before six thirty they filed into the Cyber Command,
past the guard dog sign, slipped on their headsets, and stared into the
wall of flashing screens. They would stay here for eight hours.  Their
hours rotated including a recurring graveyard shift.

When trouble happened, the guys snapped into action with expert
precision, rapidly assimilating the attack and simultaneously
dispatching orders to the other cyber warriors.  Lackland Air Force Base
near San Antonia, Texas housed a large supporting team of cyber
warriors.  Often the guys’ order was the same:  shut down the computer
system being attacked, and find someway to reroute it.   Mouse-skills
were essential.  “If you hesitate for a second,” one cyber warrior told
me, “that could be the difference in a base going down.”

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/