[ISN] California Missile: Chinese Cyberwar or DOD ‘Accident’?

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 00:15:43 -0600 (CST)
http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2010/11/california-missile-chinese-cyberwar-or-dod-accident/

[It was only a matter of time before the tinfoil hat / peanut-gallery
community would add Cyberwar to their paranoid rants, while we now know
the mystery 'missile' was really a US Air flight, I still love this
explanation of what that was... http://youtu.be/8n2smBKFclU  - WK]

November 14, 2010
By LBG1

California missile launch, work of Chinese hackers?

When KCBS aired the news helicopter footage of a mystery missile launch
last Monday off the coast of southern California the ‘expert’ most
quoted by the press, GlobalSecurities.org Director John Pike. It was
Pike’s ‘optical illusion’ which got the most press. Another quote from
Pike which got far less press, this statement from Pike during the 36
hour time period the DOD took to come up with the ‘most likely an
aircraft’ explanation:

    Pike said he didn’t understand why the military had not recognized
    the contrail of an aircraft. “The Air Force must … understand how
    contrails are formed,” he said. “Why they can’t get some major out
    to belabor the obvious, I don’t know.”

The military’s response, 36 hours after the event, an ‘illusion’?

Based on the news reports we’ve read related to the Pentagon and Chinese
hackers, the questions of,

If Chinese hackers were responsible for the missile launch, would it
have been construed by the DOD as an act of ‘cyberwar’ by China? A
cyberwar act which occurred while the President of the United States was
overseas in the Far East?

If Chinese hackers were responsible for a U.S. submarine ‘accidentally’
firing a missile, would the DOD admit it to the press, the American
public, and, the Chinese government? Our military admitting Chinese
military hackers had successfully hacked into the U.S. Dept. of Defense
computer and fired one of our missiles?

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/