[ISN] Detroit Hospital Security Breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 05:00:57 -0600 (CST)
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/25801194/detail.html

WDIV Detroit
November 15, 2010

DETROIT, Mich. -- Henry Ford Health Systems has notified patients of a
possible security breach after a laptop was stolen out of an unlocked
medical urology office September 24th. Representatives with the hospital
said although the password was protected there is a possibility some
personal patient information could be at risk.

The hospital began notifying affected patients in a letter mailed last
week from Chief Privacy Officer Meredith Phillips. The letter explained
what happened, what information was stored on the laptop and what steps
the health system is taking to prevent future breaches of patient
information.

"The security of our patients' health information is very important to
us, and we sincerely apologize for what happened," Phillips said. "This
laptop did not have the proper security protections that we require for
laptop computers storing patient information."

The laptop contained patient information related to prostate services
received between 1997 and 2008 and included some but not all of the
following information: Patient name, medical record number, date of
birth, mailing and e-mail addresses, telephone number, treatment and
doctor visits. No Social Security numbers or health insurance
information were stored on the laptop.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/