[ISN] Secrecy News -- 12/14/10 - JASON: SCIENCE OF CYBER SECURITY NEEDS MORE WORK

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 00:00:47 -0600 (CST)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 09:15:22 -0500
From: Steven Aftergood <saftergood (at) fas.org>
Subject: Secrecy News -- 12/14/10 (alt list)

SECRECY NEWS
from the FAS Project on Government Secrecy
Volume 2010, Issue No. 99
December 14, 2010

Support the FAS Project on Government Secrecy with a donation:
http://www.fas.org/member/donate_today.html

**     JASON:  SCIENCE OF CYBER SECURITY NEEDS MORE WORK

JASON:  SCIENCE OF CYBER SECURITY NEEDS MORE WORK

"Cyber security is now critical to our survival but as a field of research
[it] does not have a firm scientific basis," according to the Department of
Defense.  "Our current security approaches have had limited success and have
become an arms race with our adversaries.  In order to achieve security
breakthroughs we need a more fundamental understanding of the science of
cyber security."

To help advance that understanding, the DoD turned to the JASON defense
advisory panel, which has just produced a new report on the subject.

"There is a science of cyber security," the JASONs said, but it "seems
underdeveloped in reporting experimental results, and consequently in the
ability to use them."

The JASON report began by noting that "A science of cyber security has to
deal with a combination of peculiar features that are shared by no other
area of study."

[...]

A copy of the new JASON report was obtained by Secrecy News.  See "Science
of Cyber-Security," November 2010.

	http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/jason/cyber.pdf

To UNSUBSCRIBE, go to
http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/secrecy/unsubscribe.html

OR email your request to saftergood_at_private

Secrecy News is archived at:
http://www.fas.org/sgp/news/secrecy/index.html

Support the FAS Project on Government Secrecy with a donation:
http://www.fas.org/member/donate_today.html

_______________________
Steven Aftergood
Project on Government Secrecy
Federation of American Scientists
web:    www.fas.org/sgp/index.html
email:  saftergood (at) fas.org
voice:  (202) 454-4691

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/