[ISN] DISA creates DMZ to boost security on unclassified network

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 01:54:45 -0600 (CST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2011/01/07/disa-panel-dod-dmz.aspx

By Amber Corrin
GCN.com
Jan 10, 2011

The Defense Information Systems Agency has created a "demilitarized
zone" for unclassified applications to help manage access and improve
security between the public Internet and Unclassified but Sensitive IP
Router Network (NIPRNet), according to Dave Mihelcic, DISA's CTO.

The DMZ protects against cyberattacks, he said. In the case of a cyber
attack, the DMZ would allow increased security while still leaving
critical servers open to the Internet as necessary

DISA has taken a leadership role in locking down military cybersecurity,
and the DMZ is one of two programs that are emerging as key components
to maintaining the security of DOD’s most sensitive data, officials have
said.

“We have to share information safely,” said Richard Hale, DISA chief
information assurance executive. “If we break sharing, we’ve broken a
lot of things…but we still have to keep things secret.” Hale and
Mihelcic spoke as part of a DISA panel at a luncheon held in Arlington,
Va., and sponsored by the DC chapter of AFCEA.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/