[ISN] Phone-hacking scandal: Scotland Yard accused over investigations

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 02:05:46 -0600 (CST)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/23/phone-hacking-scandal-scotland-yard

By Polly Curtis and James Robinson
guardian.co.uk

Criticisms of the police handling of the phone-hacking scandal
intensified tonight after a minister accused Scotland Yard of failing to
properly investigate the allegations, while it emerged that Gordon Brown
has asked police to establish whether he has been a victim.

Chris Huhne, the Liberal Democrat energy secretary, cast doubt on News
International's claims that hacking was the work of a "rogue reporter".
He criticised the initial handling of the allegations by the police, and
accused them of reacting to his calls for a full inquiry last year by
"scurrying back to Scotland Yard" and dismissing the idea in an
afternoon.

"It seemed to me clear that the number of people being hacked clearly
was not consistent with it being one rogue reporter who happened to be
the royal correspondent. Why would the royal correspondent be interested
in hacking the voicemails of Simon Hughes, my colleague, who is a
Liberal Democrat MP, for example?" he told the BBC's Daily Politics.

"We know the police were not keen on the subject, because when I called
for a very clear review of this, the police scurried back into Scotland
Yard, spent less than a day reviewing it, and popped out in time for the
six o'clock news to say they had discovered no further evidence."

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/