[ISN] HBGary Federal Hacked by Anonymous

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 03:07:07 -0600 (CST)
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/02/hbgary-federal-hacked-by-anonymous/

By Brian Krebs
Krebs on Security
February 7th, 2011

A company that is helping the federal government track down
cyberactivists who have been attacking business which refused to support
Wikileaks has itself been hacked by the very same activists.

At the center of the storm is a leaderless and anarchic Internet group
called Anonymous, which more recently has been coordinating attacks
against Egyptian government Web sites. Late last month, authorities in
the U.K. and the U.S. moved against at least 45 suspected Anonymous
activists. Then, on Saturday, the Financial Times ran a story quoting
Aaron Barr, the head of security services firm HBGary Federal, saying he
had uncovered the identities of Anonymous’ leaders using social
networking sites. Barr said he planned to release his findings at a
security conference in San Francisco next week.

Anonymous responded by hacking into HBGary’s networks and posting
archives of company executive emails on file-trading networks. The group
also hacked the firm’s Web site and replaced it with a message saying it
was releasing Barr’s findings on its own because the group was confident
Barr’s conclusions were wrong.

“We’ve seen your internal documents, all of them, and do you know what
we did? We laughed. Most of the information you’ve ‘extracted’ is
publicly available via our IRC networks,” the statement reads. “The
personal details of Anonymous ‘members’ you think you’ve acquired are,
quite simply, nonsense. So why can’t you sell this information to the
FBI like you intended? Because we’re going to give it to them for free.”

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/