[ISN] Russian Convicted of $9 Million RBS WorldPay Hack Avoids Jail

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 03:56:37 -0600 (CST)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/02/rbs-hacker-avoids-jail/

By Kim Zetter
Threat Level
Wired.com
February 9, 2011

A Russian hacker convicted of the $9 million hack of RBS WorldPay has
avoided jail and has been given only a suspended sentence.

Yevgeny Anikin, 27, received a suspended sentence of five years on
Monday, according to Russian state news agency RIA Novosti, after
pleading guilty to what the U.S. has called “perhaps the most
sophisticated and organized computer fraud attack ever conducted.”

Anikin reportedly expressed remorse for his role in the caper, telling
the court this week, “I want to say that I repent and fully admit my
guilt.” He had been under house arrest since 2009 and reportedly bought
two apartments in Novosibirsk and a luxury car with his spoils. He told
the court that he had begun to pay back the stolen money.

He’s the second hacker in the caper to avoid jail time.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/