Re: [ISN] CIA Director Leon Panetta Warns of Possible Cyber-Pearl Harbor

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 00:44:45 -0600 (CST)
Forwarded from: Richard Forno <rforno (at) infowarrior.org>

First off: this is the same Leon Panetta who told a Congressional
committee last week that his official estimate that Mubarak would step
down on DayX was based on "media reports."
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/10/AR2011021007642.html).
If that's how they're dealing with real-world concerns, I'm not sure we
want to know who's providing their "cyber" intellgence, do we?

Secondly, as William's comment rightly notes, pretty much all the "gloom
and doom" stuff cited in the article/hearing (and others like it) is
nothing that we in the industry, academia, or research communities
haven't been talking/writing/teaching/briefing about for at least 15
years.  And yet these people in Washington are still acting as though
this is "new" problem we're facing and scrambling (er, "flailing")
around trying to deal with stuff they've been warned about for ages but
never paid much attention to --- and now, I daresay it's too late to
really, truly, fundamentally fix them.

They just don't get it.  And for all their fear-mongering and
hyperboble, a "Digital Whatever" scenario won't make them get it,
either.  The fact that the clowns in Washington officially still use the
term "Pearl Harbor" in the context of a cyber event is evidence of that.
They just don't get it.

Which begs the question:  if after all this time, the national policy
makers have demonstrated they don't really understand or care about
*really* fixing cybersecurity, why should those of us in the operational
world care, either?  (Profitable careers/products/services aside, that
is.)

-- rick