[ISN] Morgan Stanley hit by same attackers that breached Google

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 02:26:55 -0600 (CST)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/01/morgan_stanley_aurora_attacks/

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco
The Register
1st March 2011

Morgan Stanley was hit by a “very sensitive” breach to its network by
the same attackers who penetrated computer systems maintained by Google
and dozens of other companies, according to leaked emails reviewed by
Bloomberg News.

The emails came from California-based HBGary, which suffered a major
compromise of its own at the hands of hackers from Anonymous. After
being hired by Morgan Stanley in 2010, HBGary members found that the
world's top merger adviser fell prey to the so-called Aurora hacks,
which siphoned source code and other sensitive data from the victim
companies over a period of many months.

“They were hit hard by the real Aurora attacks (not the crap in the
news),” Phil Wallisch, a senior security engineer at HBGary, wrote in
one email.

In a May 10 email to HBGary President Penny Leavy-Hoglund, Wallisch
wrote: “They have given me access to a very sensitive report on their
Aurora experience. I will honor their wishes about not sharing the info
with anyone, but the good news is that I have some great ideas for our
final reports.”

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/