[ISN] Ottawa urged to fight power-grid hackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:04:40 -0600 (CST)
http://www.canada.com/technology/Ottawa+urged+fight+power+grid+hackers/4442522/story.html

By Ian MacLeod
Postmedia News
March 15, 2011

Computer hackers are penetrating Canada's power grid, say industry
insiders who want the federal government to act.

"We certainly know from our customers that their systems have been
infiltrated. It's been going on for some time," said Doug Westlund,
president of N-Dimension Solutions, a Richmond Hill, Ont.,
cyber-security company that works with North American utilities.

"I can't tell you who they are, but they're close to home for sure."

Westlund, whose company is part of a research project sponsored by the
United States Department of Energy to protect the emerging digital
"smart grid" against cyber attacks, likened the incidents to a covert
penetration and reconnaissance of the U.S. system in 2009.

Those cyberspies also reportedly embedded software in utilities'
computers that could have disrupted future service. Officials speculate
either Russia or China was responsible.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/