[ISN] DHS chief: What we learned from Stuxnet

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 01:59:02 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216166/DHS_chief_What_we_learned_from_Stuxnet

By Robert McMillan
IDG News Service
April 25, 2011

If there's a lesson to be learned from last year's Stuxnet worm, it's
that the private sector needs to be able to respond quickly to
cyber-emergencies, the head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
said Monday.

"The key thing we learnt from Stuxnet was the need for rapid response
across the private sector," DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano told
engineering students at the University of California, Berkeley. "There,
we need to increase the rapidity of response, because in that area -- as
in several other recent attacks -- we've seen very, very sophisticated,
very, very novel ways of attacking. When you're getting at control
systems, now you're really talking [about] taking things over, so this
is an area of deep concern for us."

Although nobody knows who created Stuxnet, many believe that it opened a
new chapter in the annals of cybersecurity: the first worm written to
destroy factory control systems. On Monday, Iran said it had been hit
with a second worm, called Stars,, but security experts aren't sure that
it really falls into the same class as Stuxnet.

Stuxnet was a watershed event, according to Napolitano.

[...]

5B
Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/