[ISN] Unfollowed: How a (Possible) Social Network Spy Came Undone

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:14:36 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/04/unfollowed-how-a-possible-social-network-spy-came-undone/

[When the early information about this story was coming out, it was that
@PrimorisEra might have been spotting and assessing targets for a
KGB honey pot operation. Which had me wondering, what have we learned
since Robin Sage? - WK - @c4i

http://science.dodlive.mil/2010/07/21/the-dangers-of-friending-strangers-the-robin-sage-experiment/ ]

By Spencer Ackerman
Danger Room
Wired.com
April 28, 2011

It started out with a leggy, bikini-clad avatar. She said she was a
missile expert -- the "1st Lady of Missiles," in fact -- but sometimes
suggested she worked with the CIA. With multiple Twitter and Facebook
accounts, she earned a following of social media-crazed security wonks.
Then came the accusations of using sex appeal for espionage.

Now everyone involved in this weird network is adjusting their story in
one way or another, demonstrating that even people in the national
security world have trouble remembering one of the basic rules of the
internet: Not everyone is who they say they are.

"I think anyone puts pictures out online to lure someone in," the woman
at the center of the controversy insists. "But it's not to lure men in
to give me any information at all... I liked them. They’re pretty.
Apparently everyone else thought so too."

This is a strange, Twitter-borne tale of flirting, cutouts, and lack of
online caution in the intelligence and defense worlds. Professionals who
should've known better casually disclosed their personal details (a big
no-no in spook circles) and lobbed allegations they later couldn't or
wouldn't support (a big no-no in all circles). It led to a Pentagon
investigation. And it starts with a Twitter account that no longer
exists called @PrimorisEra.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/