[ISN] Network That Supports Anonymous Hacker Group Is Compromised

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 02:33:22 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.darkreading.com/insider-threat/167801100/security/news/229403080/network-that-supports-anonymous-hacker-group-is-compromised.html

By Tim Wilson
Dark Reading
May 9, 2011

A network frequently used by the members of the hacker group Anonymous
has been compromised, according to its operators.

AnonOps.net, an IRC network that provided a forum for members of the
Anonymous group as well as other hackers, has been temporarily shut
down, according to a message posted by operators over the weekend.

"We regret to inform you today that our network has been compromised by
a former IRC-operator and fellow helper named 'Ryan,'" the message says.
"He decided that he didn't like the leaderless command structure that
AnonOps Network Admins use. So he organized a coup d'etat, with his
'friends' at skidsr.us. Using the networks service bot 'Zalgo' he
scavenged the IPs and passwords of all the network servers [including
the hub] and then systematically aimed denial of service attacks at
them, which is why the network has been unstable for the past week.

"Unfortunately he has control of the domain names AnonOps.ru [and
possibly AnonOps.net, we don't know at this stage], so we are unable to
continue using them," the message continues. "We however still have
control over AnonOps.in, and will continue to publish news there. We
would STRONGLY ADVISE all users to STAY AWAY from AnonOps.net and
AnonOps.ru, and they should be considered COMPROMISED."

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/