[ISN] England 2018 chiefs hired undercover agents to spy on bid rivals

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 02:13:42 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/05/10/england-2018-chiefs-hired-undercover-agents-to-spy-on-bid-rivals-115875-23119513/

By Martin Fricker
Daily Mirror
05/10/2011

ENGLAND football chiefs hired a team of spies to snoop on rival bidders
for the 2018 World Cup, it was claimed yesterday.

Undercover agents were paid by the FA to infiltrate Zurich hotels where
Fifa committee members were staying last December and report what they
learned.

One FA spy even mingled with guests -- including Prince William, PM
David Cameron and David Beckham, who were drafted in at the last minute
to lobby for the bid -- in the city’s Baur au Lac hotel.

FA chiefs hired the spooks in a last-ditch bid to win the right to host
the tournament, but the plan backfired and England’s £15million bid
secured just two votes -- one from FA board member Geoff Thompson.

The claims, from two unnamed officials close to the bidding process,
will embarrass the FA and Mr Cameron, who has been critical of the
“murky” bidding process. He said: “I definitely had Fifa executives who
looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said ‘don’t worry we’re with
you’.”

The FA refused to comment ­officially yesterday, but a 2018 official
admitted to the Mirror: “Yes, we had a private security team.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/