[ISN] Small firms learn size doesn't matter to hackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 04:09:40 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-smallbiz-security-20110523,0,5494792.story

By Cyndia Zwahlen
Los Angeles Times
May 23, 2011

It took all of three minutes for the hacker to break into the small
accounting firm's computer system.

The virtual open window into the system turned out to be a computer
equipped with outdated software. It provided access to the office
network and the hacker was able to get files that included private
financial information.

"That was a shock," said Lynne Leavitt, a partner at the four-person Los
Angeles firm, Brakensiek Leavitt Pleger. "I thought we had good
security. I thought we were safe."

Luckily, it was just a test. The hacker had been employed by a security
company to test the accountants' digital defenses. As a result, the firm
put in new software and adopted new security procedures.

Cyber security is not just for big businesses. "That's one of the myths
we come across — 'I am too small,'" said Stan Stahl, head of a Los
Angeles cyber-security company Citadel Information Group Inc. and
president of the Los Angeles chapter of the Information Systems Security
Assn., a trade group.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/