[ISN] Dropbox confirms security glitch -- no password required

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:26:16 -0700 (MST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20072755-281/dropbox-confirms-security-glitch-no-password-required/

By Declan McCullagh
Privacy, Inc.
CNet News
June 20, 2011

Web-based storage firm Dropbox confirmed this afternoon that a
programmer's error caused a temporary security breach that allowed any
password to be used to access any user account.

The San Francisco-based start-up attributed the security breach to a
"code update" that "introduced a bug affecting our authentication
mechanism." Access without passwords was possible between 1:54pm PT and
5:46pm PT yesterday, the company said.

"This should never have happened," Dropbox co-founder and CTO Arash
Ferdowsi said in a blog post. "We are scrutinizing our controls and we
will be implementing additional safeguards to prevent this from
happening again."

This afternoon's news is a significant embarrassment for Dropbox, which
(despite not being located in Silicon Valley) appeared on a list of "20
Hot Silicon Valley Startups You Need To Watch," and which received a
CNET Webware award in May 2009.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/