[ISN] Anatomy of a hack: When the GCN Lab was attacked from China

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:27:01 -0700 (MST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2011/06/20/anatomy-of-hack-from-china.aspx

By John Breeden II
GCN.com
June 20, 2011

I was happy to see last week that the National Security Agency is
joining the battle against Internet hackers by offering its own set of
scanning tools to private companies.

It’s good to see the government taking this threat seriously, because if
defense companies have their security breached, its pretty much like our
nation is being attacked as well. Countries that could benefit from
knowledge about the projects those contractors are working on might view
private companies as a softer target than trying to go directly at
Defense Department databases. Attacks like the recent one at Lockheed
Martin could be proof of this line of thinking.

I’d like to take that logic a step further and say that, in a lot of
ways, a new Cold War has begun, and we should take the threat just as
seriously. The only difference is that, unlike the original Cold War,
there is unlikely to be a scenario that ends in world annihilation,
though damage can still be done to both sides.

China is taking the threat seriously, and claims that the United States
is attacking its networks just as vigorously as we claim they are
assaulting ours. And let’s not forget North Korea as a threat on this
new battlefield as well.

The GCN Lab domain, which is a test setup for new products and not
public, has even been attacked in the past, probably because attackers
mistakenly thought based on the publication's name that we were part of
the government. These attacks provided evidence that they were coming
from China and were even tracked down to specific IP addresses in that
country, mostly surrounding Beijing.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/