[ISN] Distribute.IT: A cautionary tale

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:27:34 -0700 (MST)
http://risky.biz/distributeit

By Patrick Gray
risky.biz
June 21, 2011

It looks like Melbourne-based hosting company and ICANN-accredited
domain name registrar Distribute.IT is fighting for its very survival.

The company has posted this depressing notice on what's left of its
Web-site.

It might seem crazy, but Distribute.IT is facing nothing short of an
existential crisis because, absurdly, it didn't take offline backups. As
the company itself put it:

"Our Data Recovery teams have been working around the clock in an
attempt to recover data from the affected servers shared Servers [sic].
At this time, we regret to inform that the data, sites and emails that
were hosted on Drought, Hurricane, Blizzard and Cyclone can be
considered by all the experts to be unrecoverable... our greatest fears
have been confirmed that not only was the production data erased during
the attack, but also key backups, snapshots and other information that
would allow us to reconstruct these Servers from the remaining data."

This is exactly the scenario I discussed with the host of the PaulDotCom
Security Weekly podcast Paul Asadoorian during an interview in Risky
Business back in episode 188 [42:05].

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/