Re: [ISN] Hackers Select a New Target: Other Hackers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 03:41:11 -0700 (MST)
Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>
Cc: sengupta (at) nytimes.com, bilton (at) nytimes.com

: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/technology/05hack.html
:
: By SOMINI SENGUPTA and NICK BILTON
: The New York Times
: July 4, 2011
:
: The hackers, calling themselves the A-Team, assembled a trove of private
: information and put it online for all to see: names, aliases, addresses,
: phone numbers, even details about family members and girlfriends.

Hackers select a "new" target, other hackers.

If you believe this is 'new' by any logic or reasoning, you are simply
naive and poorly read. You only have to go so far as your own John
Markoff to see this. He has written about a hacker (Mitnick) going after
another hacker (Shimomura):

http://www.takedown.com/bio/index.html#John

Further, James Fallows of the NYTimes has written about it as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/04/books/an-outlaw-in-cyberspace.html

That is one of hundreds (thousands?) of such cases of hackers targeting
hackers. I would bet a dollar I could find other articles on nytimes.com
of such cases as well.

- security curmudgeon

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/