[ISN] Hack of Energy˘s Pacific Northwest lab exploited zero-day vulnerability

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 00:34:27 -0700 (MST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2011/07/12/energy-lab-attack-zero-day-exploit.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
July 12, 2011

The cyberattack that took the Energy Department’s Pacific Northwest
National Laboratory offline on July 1 exploited a zero-day vulnerability
to infect the systems with an Advanced Persistent Threat, lab CIO Jerry
Johnson said July 12.

Although external e-mail and some internal communications have been
restored, the lab’s website at www.pnl.gov remains unavailable and the
Richland, Wash., lab still has no Internet access. Johnson said he hopes
that remaining services will be restored by late Wednesday, July 13, or
early Thursday.

“The landscape we are protecting is very large,” Johnson said. “Given
the scope and complexity of our network and information systems, we have
made excellent progress restoring services."

Pacific Northwest was one of two Energy Department labs that became
aware of an attack on July 1. The Thomas Jefferson Laboratory National
Accelerator Facility in Newport News, Va., also went offline for a
period after the attack was discovered, but restored Internet services
and began rebuilding its Web site, at www.jlab.org, last week.

[...]

Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/