[ISN] Hospital reports security breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 04:47:56 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=164202

By Michelle Durand
Daily Journal Staff
August 02, 2011

Documents containing personal information of approximately 1,500
Mills-Peninsula Health Services patients were removed from the facility
over the course of a year and taken home by a mailroom employee,
according to a hospital spokeswoman.

The worker, who has since been terminated, took the documents between
November 2009 and September 2010. The Burlingame hospital learned of the
breach June 17 when a relative of the employee discovered the documents
at the worker’s home and returned them to the hospital.

The reason for the removal is murky.

"We don't believe they've been used for anything. We believe they just
sat in a box," said Margie O'Clair, vice president of communications for
Mills-Peninsula Health Services.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA 2011, hosted at Caesars Palace in
Las Vegas, Nevada July 30-Aug 4, offering over 60 training
sessions and 9 tracks of Briefings from security industry elite.
To sign up visit: http://www.blackhat.com