[ISN] Hacked cybersecurity firm HBGary storms back after ridicule fades

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:37:56 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/21/3851214/hacked-cybersecurity-firm-hbgary.html

By Dale Kasler
The Sacramento Bee
Aug. 21, 2011

For years, few people knew about HBGary Inc., a Sacramento tech firm
working on the esoteric frontiers of cybersecurity.

Then a bizarre episode turned the 30-employee firm into a combination
global laughingstock and villain.

A maker of software designed to thwart hackers, HBGary was itself
victimized by hackers in February. The group called Anonymous stole
thousands of HBGary's emails and gleefully posted them on the Internet.

As if that weren't bad enough, the emails revealed a dirty-tricks
scheme, cooked up by HBGary's sister company, to undermine foes of the
U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

The plot brought a cascade of threats to HBGary's headquarters in a Fair
Oaks Boulevard office complex. Customers postponed purchases.

"We were terrified," said Chief Executive Greg Hoglund. "I saw all the
fruits of my labor, my livelihood, being jeopardized."

But HBGary didn't implode. Customers returned and new ones followed.

In a sit-down interview recently, the owners insisted the whole episode
wound up enhancing their credentials as defenders of Internet security.

"The amount of brand recognition that we got out of that -- you couldn't
have bought that for a million dollars," Hoglund said.

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/