[ISN] To Defeat Terrorists, Start Using the Library

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 03:43:47 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-31/to-defeat-terrorists-do-a-little-research-in-the-library-scott-helfstein.html

By Scott Helfstein
Bloomberg
Aug 30, 2011

The information glut that marks the 21st century is evidenced in some
unexpected places. Last month, my organization, the Combating Terrorism
Center at West Point, released a report that sharply disputed
conventional wisdom about terrorism along the Afghanistan-Pakistani
frontier.

The report argued that the Haqqani Network, a border- spanning tribal
group with deep ties to Pakistan’s government, had been more influential
than the Taliban in aiding al-Qaeda’s rise.

How did we support this thesis, which has vast implications for
reconciliation efforts in the region as well as for the distribution of
U.S. military aid? Not with data culled from clandestine operations in
Pakistan’s tribal areas or from Osama bin Laden’s computer hard drive.
The report was based on the public statements and writings of individual
extremists over the past 30 years. Rather than ferreting out secret
information, researchers merely took extremists at their voluminous
word.

It seems terrorists, too, are susceptible to the syndrome known as Too
Much Information.

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/