[ISN] After hacking claims, second firm pulls digital certificates

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 01:49:18 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219758/After_hacking_claims_second_firm_pulls_digital_certificates

By Robert McMillan
IDG News Service
September 6, 2011

Digital certificates issued by GlobalSign have come under scrutiny after
a hacker's claim that he broke into the company's computer systems. If
true, it would be the second such compromise in the past few weeks.

The hacker, known as Comodohacker, said on Monday he had broken into
Dutch certificate authority (CA) DigiNotar and that he had access to
four other such companies, including GlobalSign, a certificate authority
based in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. On Tuesday, GlobalSign said it was
investigating the claim and had "decided to temporarily cease issuance
of all certificates until the investigation is complete."

"We will post updates as frequently as possible," the company said in a
post to its website. "We apologize for any inconvenience."

GlobalSign couldn't immediately be reached for comment, but earlier in
the day, Steve Roylance, GlobalSign's business development director,
said his company was "taking this very seriously."

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/