[ISN] Infosec's mega marketing misalignment mishap

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 04:13:38 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.cso.com.au/article/400672/infosec_mega_marketing_misalignment_mishap

Stilgherrian
CSO Online (Australia)

Talk about disconnect! Analysts, security engineers and other infosec
geeks aim for Swiss-watch precision, because one little mistake means
the bad guys win. We want people to take this seriously, right? So why
do certain marketing and PR departments spread a load of what my father,
a man more polite than me, would have called "bulldust"?

Yeah, I'm lookin' at you, Symantec.

Not just you. We see dodgy cybercrime factoids every week.

But you, Symantec, most certainly win this month's inaugural Big Bit
Bucket of Bull Award for the buffalo-grade bovine blather of your 2011
Norton Cybercrime Report. It's not even half-way through the month yet,
sure, but by God it'll take some beating.

If the full report, with media-friendly factoids aplenty, is all a bit
too tl;dr don't worry. Our news stories gave the flavour. Last year
cybercrime claimed 431 million adult victims and cost $US114 billion,
apparently. It's in the same league as the global trade in illegal
drugs, says Symantec.

Orly?

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/