[ISN] India Hacked, Part II: Cyber Warfare -- The New Battlefield

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:07:15 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theindiasite.com/india-hacked-part-ii-cyber-warfare-the-new-battlefield/

By Ulrik McKnight
The India Site
Sep 15, 2011

In Part I of India Hacked, The Extent of the Compromise, we explored the
extensive hacking of corporate and political India. In Part II we
examine the national security implications of this trend.

State-Level Hacking

China has repeatedly been found to use its expertise as a cyber-power to
access highly confidential information relating to the national security
of other nations, including India. India should take note, not only
because of its historically contentious relationship with China, but
also because of China’s undeniably close ties with Pakistan, a country
that continues to sponsor terror across India.

Just as armies fight on land, and navies at sea, national cyber-forces
now fight in the online world. Cyber warfare is the new battlefront. But
it is a battle that India, like many countries, is ill-equipped to wage.
This has left the country under-defended against sustained, damaging
state-level attacks.

The renowned virus hunter Mikko Hypponen told The India Site: “We’ve
traced most of the cases of hacking against India not to Pakistan, not
to Russia, not to anywhere else, but to China.”

China has a large cyber army and also uses a network of patriotic and
mercenary hackers that allows the state to deny responsibility. China
has extensive control over its Internet, leading many to take for
granted that these attacks are government sanctioned. That being said,
many countries conduct cyber-espionage, and attributing attacks can be
difficult. Looking at who benefits from the espionage offers a good
indication of who may be responsible.

[...]

Register now for the #HITB2011KUL - Asia's premier
deep-knowledge network security event now in it's 9th year!
http://conference.hitb.org/hitbsecconf2011kul/